Three Mistakes Clients Make when Delegating to a Virtual Assistant
Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere.
- Ronald Reagan
Dr. Jeff Cornwall blogs at The Entrepreneurial Mind today about the art of delegation. In his post, entitled ‘Learning to Let Go‘ he shares the three most common mistakes entrepreneurs can make when delegating to employees. Granted, virtual assistants are not employees, but the rules of engagement are the same when it comes to successful delegation.
In his article, Dr. Cornwall lists the three most common mistakes made in delegation:
- Being hesitant to delegate.
- Rushed delegation.
- Undermining the delegation process.
Dr. Cornwall explains the ways in which these three mistakes can interrupt an otherwise successful flow of business and also provides insight into how to avoid and/or correct the issues caused by ineffective delegation including his own ‘seven-second delay’ to help avoid the fallout from the third mistake, undermining the delegation process.
Cornwall closes his article with this analogy: “Delegation is a lot like raising teenagers. At some point you have to begin to let go so they can learn — and grow up. With your business, if you don’t learn to let go and delegate, it will never successfully “grow up” to the next stage of development.”
For even more information on how to effectively delegate to your own professional virtual assistant, read our previous blog posts on the topic.
Do you have your own tips for how to make letting go and delegating easier for entrepreneurs and business owners who are used to ‘doing it all’? Please share them in the comments!
- The Benefits of Hiring Virtual Assistants Versus In-House Employees
- Outsourcing 101: The Benefits of Outsourcing Virtually Everything
- How to Outsource Short Term Projects for Swift Gains
- Go! Fight! Win! Delegate!
- 7 Ways a Virtual Assistant can help you get Started with E-Newsletters
- MailChimp versus Aweber – Which one is right for you?
- E-Newsletters – You have a lot more to say and offer than you realise!
- Are you Sitting on the Fence About e-Newsletters?
- 7 Ways a Virtual Assistant Will Benefit Your Small Business
- Maximize Your Budget When Working with a Virtual Assistant
- Time-Saving Ways to outsource Your Social Media on Three Ways to Outsource Social Media to Your Virtual Assistant
- Francis on 7 Things to Consider Before Hiring a Virtual Assistant
- Janine Gregor on 5 Things You Should Know About Working with a Virtual Assistant
- Beed Virtual Assistants on The Benefits of Hiring Virtual Assistants Versus In-House Employees
- Rod - VA Philippines on Team Up With a Virtual Assistant